It should come as no surprise that Jessica Biel (pictured here posing for GQ) was picked to star in this summer’s blockbuster action flick Total Recall. After all, the actress (who also happens to be Justin Timberlake‘s fiancee) is known for her athletic build and passion for action. Frequently snapped working out or just indulging her love of all things physical (from surfing to snowboarding, ), the brunette beauty has also keyed into the latest celebrity fitness trend: plyometrics.
Used by celebrity trainers like Jason Walsh, who works with Biel, Tony Horton of P90X and Jillian Michaels of The Biggest Loser, plyometrics aims to pack as much punch as possible into the shortest amount of time. (Are you listening, moms?). It’s all about quick yet powerful moves that burn fat while toning muscle. Try these Jessica Biel-style exercises to amp up your workout:
1) Stand in front of an elevated platform, such as an aerobic step. Start with your right foot on the platform and your left foot on the floor. Jump high, switching your feet before landing. You should finish the rep with your right foot on the floor and left foot on the platform. Repeat for one full minute without resting in between.
2) Using an agility ladder, stand on the left side of the ladder. Jump with both feet diagonally across the ladder, then jump back to the left side, forming a zig-zag pattern. When you reach the end of the ladder, turn around and jump back.
3) From a push-up position (feet or knees, depending on your workout and comfort level), spring off the ground and clap your hands in between each push. Do 12-15 repetitions.
4) For a cardio blast, jump rope at a quick pace for one minute, then break for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 to 5 times.
5) A fave or Walsh’s, this next exercise requires a flight of at least 20 stairs. Start at the bottom and jump with both feet to the third stair. Continue to the top. Novices beware.
Text: Madison Oliver